An Active Form of Folate
Product Description: FOLINIC ACID contains 800 mcg of folinic acid from a very pure form of calcium folinate. Folinic Acid is contained in a small (#4) gelatin capsule only with microcrystalline cellulose (filler) and silica (flow agent). It contains no magnesium stearate.
Folinic Acid Caps
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION AND PROPERTIES:
Did you know that the most common vitamin deficiency in the world is folate due to food processing, food selection and intestinal disorders?
Folinic acid, is one active form in a group of vitamins known as folates. In contrast to folic acid, a synthetic form of folate, folinic acid is one of the forms of folate found naturally in foods (like sprouts, brewers yeast, liver & kidney).
There are many drugs that are known to inhibit the body's ability to utilize folate, including: 1) aspirin, 2) cholesterol lowering drugs, 3) oral birth control pills, 4) antacids, and 5) methotrexate when used for rheumatoid arthritis. When taking these drugs (and many others) it is recommended that you take 800 mcg daily of folate, preferably as folinic acid.
When taking folate it is recommended that you take adequate amounts of Vitamin B-12 as methylcobalamin. Please note that folate supplementation may interfere with anticonvulsant drugs.
In the body folinic acid may be converted into any of the other active forms of folate.
Folate coenzymes are responsible for the following important metabolic functions:
- Formation of purines and pyrimidines which, in turn, are needed for synthesis of the nucleic acids DNA and RNA. This is especially important during fetal development in the first trimester in preventing birth defects, such as neural tube defects like spina bifida,
- Formation of the amino acid methionine from homocysteine (Vitamin B-12 as methylcobalamin also is needed for this conversion). Elevated levels of homocysteine have been implicated in a wide range of health disorders including atherosclerosis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's disease, and depression. In the reconversion of homocysteine to methionine the body uses the methionine to make the important amino acid s-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) which is known to be helpful in cases of depression.
Other conditions than those mentioned above possibly benefiting from folinic acid supplementation include: AIDS/HIV, Crohn’s Disease, colon cancer, ulcerative colitis, high cholesterol, celiac disease, postpartum depression, cervical displasia, cleft palate, diarrhoea, gout, increased fracture of chromosomes, malabsorption and gastrointestinal inflammation, megaloblastic anaemia, restless leg syndrome, sprue, and vitiligo.
These coenzymes are also responsible for:-
- Formation and maturation of red and white blood cells
- Formation of heme, the iron-containing protein in haemoglobin
- Interconversion of the 3-carbon amino acid serine from the 2-carbon amino acid glycine
- Formation of the amino acids tyrosine from phenylalanine and glutamic acid from histidine
- Synthesis of choline from ethanolamine
- Conversion of nicotinamide to N'-methylnicotinamide.
COMPOSITION:1 capsule contains the following amount of the Daily Value:
|NUTRIENT||AMOUNT||% Daily Value|
|Folinic Acid (from calcium folinate)||800 mcg||200%|
DIRECTIONS:As a dietary supplement take 1 capsule daily with food, or as directed by a health care professional.
INGREDIENTS: Folinic Acid only contains the highest-quality microcrystalline cellulose, gelatin (capsule), silica, and calcium folinate.
Folinic Aciddoes not contain wheat, rye, oats, corn, barley, gluten, soy, egg, dairy, yeast, sucrose, fructose, wax, preservatives, colourings, or artificial flavourings.
Contains 300 Capsules
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.